Sunday, July 20, 2014

Intro

Well, I've never blogged before, so this should be interesting.

A little about me to begin. My name is Erik. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. I am 30 years old. I am planning a  northbound thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2015. This blog is to document my travels.

The Appalachian Trail (AT) is a foot path that extends from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mount Katahdin, Maine. It crosses 14 states and is approximately 2,200 miles long (map). A thru hike is when you hike the entire trail. I plan on taking about 6 months (+/- one month) to complete it.

I should note that while on the trail I will not be posting to this blog. My wonderful, and very supportive girlfriend Michelle will be taking care of the documentation. Michelle will also be handling logistics (sending supplies to me on the trail, keeping tabs on my most recent known location, and generally "holding down the fort") for me. Her support is truly invaluable. Without her, I don't think this hike would be possible.

I will be leaving at the beginning of March 2015, which is a little ways away. In the mean time I have begun my preparations, including acquiring all of the gear I will be using, and spending eight days on the AT earlier this month testing out said gear. In my next few posts I will talk about my gear and upload some pictures and videos of my eight day trip.

I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I have enjoyed living out this awesome adventure!

Peace!
Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment