Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Details - 10 FAQs

So I guess it's time to cover some of the details about my hike. Like how much is this costing, how long do I think it will take, etc. Here are a few of the FAQs I've received over the last few months:

1. How long will it take to hike all the way to Maine?

Well the only way I can answer that is to give a range. I'd guess it takes somewhere between 4 and 8 months, with 6 months being about average. This is solely based on what I've read, mostly on the interwebs.
I'm aiming at 6 months, personally. At this pace I'll be hiking an average of 14.5 miles per day if I assume 30 zero-days (a conservative estimate, I think).

2. Are you going by yourself?

Yes, at least at the beginning. I expect to meet many people along the way, so I won't really ever be alone.

3. Are you bringing a gun?

No. I don't feel the need.

4. When do you leave?

My plan is currently to quit working February 27. I'll spend the following week hiking, packing, cleaning, etc. Michelle and I are going to drive to Amicalola on Saturday March 7 for the ATKO. I'm officially set to step on to the trail on March 8.

5. Is it going to be cold?

Yes, for the first month or so. I expect to encounter some snow through Georgia and/or the Smokies. I've planned accordingly.

6. How are you resupplying along the way?

I plan on resupplying in towns. I don't plan on sending food ahead via the mail. On average, the AT crosses a road about once every 4 miles, so I don't expect to have much of a problem hitching into town once in a while.

7. How much does your pack weigh?

I'm not entirely sure of this one. I don't own a scale and I've never weighed everything. My guess is around 25 to 30 lbs fully loaded. I'll be sure to tweet my official starting weight from the Amicalola visitor's center.

8. How are you preparing physically for the hike?

To be honest, very little. I focus entirely on legs, and do very light exercise (lunges, squats, stretches, etc.). I go on 6 miles hikes once in a while with no pack. I intend on doing 10 mile hikes with a pack during the first week of March.

9.  How does Michelle feel about all of this?

Now, I don't want to put words in her mouth, but from what I have gathered she's nervous about managing everything by herself. She does keep telling me that she's excited though.

10. How much will it cost?

People don't actually ask this one very often. I'm guessing that people wonder about it though. I'll try to break it down:
    • Pre-hike gear: ~$2,500
    • Food (est.):  $2,250
    • Hostels/zeros (est.): $3,000
    • Replacement gear/misc. (est.): $1,000
These are just my guesses. I have a good amount of buffer built in to my budget.
So that's about it. If there are any other questions you might have please leave me a comment.

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

  1. Have a fun hike! You might see more snow and for longer than you think with your start date! Most of the southern trail is at elevation, have an awesome time! It's a helluva trip!

    ReplyDelete