Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Gear List Version 1.0

I'll be the first to admit it, I have entirely way too much stuff. However, I got everything to fit into my (50 liter) backpack so I'm going with it. Base weight comes in at 21 lbs. (I tweeted 17 lbs. but this was incorrect; I forgot to include clothing). I hope to trim some of this off as I go, and expect to send home a bunch of stuff around Virginia. I expect my starting weight will be around 35 lbs., which I don't feel is excessive for a winter load.

So here it is, my official* gear list:

Stuff (Not Clothing):


  1. GoLite Jam 50 pack with trash compactor bag as a liner
  2. Black Diamond trekking poles and duct tape for repairs/first aid
  3. Sea-to-Summit waterproof compression sack containing:
    • Hammock Gear Burrow 0 top quilt
    • Hammock Gear Incubator 20 bottom quilt
    • Jacks 'R' Better Quilt Liner/Summer Blanket
    • 2QZQ Under Quilt Protector
  4. Scrap Tyvek
  5. Tarp:
    • Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Tarp with doors
    • Hennessy Hammock Snake Skins
    • 40' Lash It for continuous ridgeline
    • Zing It guylines
    • Dutchware Titanium Dutch Hook
    • Dutchware Titanium Stingerz
    • Dutchware Titanium Fleas (4)
    • Dutchware Titanium Tarpworms (4)
    • MSR Groundhog Stakes (10)
    • Small stuff sack for stakes and lines
  6. Hammock
    • Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight Asym Zip
    • DIY Black Bishop stuff sack
    • Dutchware Treehugger Straps (2)
    • Dutchware Titanium Dutch Clips (2)
    • Aluminum toggles made from a tent pole splint (2)
    • Amsteel Whoopie Slings (2)
    • Dutchware aluminium Quilt Hooks (4)
  7. Stove/cookware:
    • Caldera Cone System
    • Half of the caddy from the Caldera Cone (nests nicely with my pot)
    • Evernew Titanium Ultra Light Deep Pot 640ml with lid
    • Optimus Titanium Spork
    • 8 oz. Oval Bottle for fuel (2)
    • 1 oz. Round Bottle for measuring fuel
    • Mini Bic lighter
  8. Misc:
    • Orange camp trowel (yes, I'm bringing it... I'm all about quality when it comes to catholes)
    • 50' Lash It and mini carabiner for hanging bear bag
    • Spare parts (mini S-biners, mitten hooks, continuous loops, etc.)
  9. TP (full roll... I like my Charmin)
  10. Toiletries and first aid:
    • Toothbrush
    • Travel toothpaste
    • Travel floss
    • Nail clippers
    • Epi-pen
    • Ibuprofen
    • Benadryl
    • Band-aids
    • Neosporin
    • Chap-stik
  11. REI Multi Towel - Small
  12. Cellphone (Verizon flip phone LG VX8300) and iPod Nano
  13. Black Diamond Cosmo Headlamp and classic Swiss Army Knife (mini)
  14. Journal, small note pad, two pens
  15. Water:
    • Sawyer Squeeze water filter
    • 32 oz. Sawyer water bladder
    • 64 oz. Sawyer water bladder (for camp)
    • 1 liter Nalgene
  16. Sea-to-Summit pack cover
  17. Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core neck pillow (must have for me in the hammock)
  18. Olympus TG3 camera with soft case and mini carabiner
  19. Money/ID, and chargers for phone, iPod, camera, and Kindle
  20. Spare battery and SD card for camera
  21. Harmonica (have no idea how to play...)
  22. 2 oz. Campsuds
  23. Kindle Paperwhite and this case
  24. 2015 A.T. Guide
  25. Waterproof stuff sack for food, and small sack for the small stuff

Clothing:


   26.  Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket
   27.  GoLite Demaree 800 fill down jacket
   28.  GoLite Walker Ranch fleece
   29.  Outdoor Research Sequence Long Sleeve Crew
   30.  Outdoor Research Sequence Duo Tee
   31.  Long sleeve synthetic undershirt (Costco special)
   32.  Cheap rain pants
   33.  White Sierra convertible pants
   34.  Outdoor Research Sequence Tights
   35.  Under Armor compression shorts
   36.  Outdoor Research Windwarrior Hat
   37.  Maxit Headgator
   38.  GoLite glove liners
   39.  Outdoor Research Phosphor Mitts
   40.  Darn Tough merino wool crew socks (2)
   41.  Darn Tough merino wool over-the-calf socks
   42.  Vasque Bitterroot boots


I didn't include gear that will be sent to me on the trail (trail runners to replace my boots, a 40 degree top quilt to replace my 0, running shorts, etc.). This list is what I will be starting with on March 8th. After the Smokies a lot of this stuff will be sent home.

I keep trying to remind myself that stressing over gear choices is futile. There is no way to anticipate everything that could possibly happen out there, and besides, I'm already invested in my gear. I feel like I'm taking too much, but I don't want to leave too much clothing behind so early in the season. I have too many luxury items, but I really really want my luxury items... And so it goes.

So, tell me what you think. Any suggestions?





*The gear listed above is subject to change without notice and should not be construed as a commitment by me to hike with said gear for any longer than I deem necessary at any given moment on any given day.

No comments:

Post a Comment